Wednesday 17 February 2010

Coconut cake


Well, this is my first post, my friend says I should start a blog of my own so here I am, Have been enjoying lots of baking ,whilst my children are on half term, shame of it is, i'm on a diet, so only taste testing for me, when really I would love a big chunk! :( This cake is the most requested in my house, so I will share...
I always do this recipe as an all in one method, it never fails, and is always super moist!


Preheat Oven to gas 3 / 160 c


Grease and line with greaseproof paper 2x 7 inch cake tins


Put all the following into a large bowl:


6oz Self raising flour-sieved from a height

1 rounded tsp baking powder

6oz caster sugar

6oz butter-very soft room temp

1oz dessicated coconut

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

3 large eggs

3 floz water


Whisk on full power with electric whisk, or in a stand mixer for 1 minute


Divide the mixture between the two tins and spread evenly with spatula


Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until springy to touch, turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.


Meanwhile, make the buttercream filling:

3oz icing sugar

2oz butter, very soft room temp

drop vanilla essence

drop water

1 tsp dessicated coconut


Mix with a spoon until creamy and fluffy


When cake is cool spread one half with buttercream leaving a little to spread on top of the cake,

Spread the other half with stawberryor raspberry jam , then sandwhich cake together.

Spread remaining buttercream on top of the cake and sprinkle with toasted dessicated coconut and some glace cherries if your feeling really kitsch!


4 comments:

  1. now that looks deeeelicious!
    thanks so much for sharing your recipe Jenny:
    and wOoP WoOp to you for new blog:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and your very welcome, i'll be trying lots of your recipes! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blog land.
    Lovely cake,bet it was yummmmmmmmmmmy.
    Luv Sophie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the welcome Sophie, it was yummmmmy! xx

    ReplyDelete