Thursday 4 August 2011

A week in North Wales

We had a lovely week last week in North Wales, the scenery was just beautiful, and we had hot weather every single day, which I've never experienced any other time I have been there, no horrid humidity though, like you get in Essex.

Old watermill half way up to the cottage
My paternal grandmother, who passed away 13 years ago used to live in Blaenau Ffestiniog on a mountain, with waterfalls and streams, and at the top of her road  there are massive slate mountains which we would climb over and play beyond, in the ruins, the sheep were tame too, and we loved stroking them.
Stream on the hill


Dylan trying to find  a spot to fill water
There was a horse called Lona in the field directly opposite my nan's cottage, who was largely neglected by her owner, but my nan took care of her, made sure she had plenty of hay, and food, even though she was quite poor herself. I  adored that horse, and would stand out in the rain just being close to her , stroking her mane, if I couldn't see her I would call her and she would come galloping down from the hills, those were the days....I would have taken her home if I could.
Nan's old cottage


 Everything is the same there, but very overgrown, and neglected like no one cares about it anymore, the stream outside the cottage was so overgrown it was difficult to get a bottle down there to sample the fresh water.
 It seemed very strange doing the walk up the long road to the cottage with my children, I felt strangely possessive of it, as if it was my territory only, my childhood secret place, my  boys didn't seem too think it was anything special, this saddened me quite a bit, but teenagers these days have so much that just having somewhere to explore and play like that just isn't that 'Special' when you consider all the games on computer and all other gadgets etc. My little girl loved it though!
Boys climbing the slate mountain

We visited the harbour of Portmadog whish was nice, had some lovely shops with lots of the local Portmerion pottery.
My kind of shopping!

Snowman heaven! there was a Gruffalo section too...

Betws-y-Coed
The most beautiful place however was Betws-y- Coed, it's like a picture postcard, the kids played in the streams climbing the rocks, and we visited the little railway.




We stayed in Prestatyn, which was nothing special, but was a good site with fantastic swimming pools for the kids, and a lovely beach, our caravan was right beside the dunes, so nice views and sunsets. I didn't venture to the clubhouse ever, I don't do clubhouses. Vile. We had our I pod, and a fridge stocked up with booze, NICE.
Path outside the caravan to the dunes

Sand angel

I won't be venturing to Wales anytime soon though, it takes forever to get anywhere, and I don't like long car journeys, but always make exception when it's Cornwall, we are having a weeks break in September, can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. how beautiful Jenhen:
    I have fond memories of Betws y Coed, a visit when I was a kid:
    glad the sun was shining for you too!
    I prefer to travel by train on those journeys:
    ipod good book and people watching:
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your holiday. The photos are beautiful and I think it was lovely you could visit where your Nan use to live and where you have so many happy memories.
    I'm glad the weather was good too, especially as you were by the beach.
    Looking forward to seeing your photos of Cornwall after you visit there too.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete