Friday 7 October 2011

Melting moments

Melting moments? These biscuits had me in a bloody meltdown for an hour and a half this morning!

 For those of you that watched the Great British bake off, you may recall  Mary-Ann making these in Episode 4, which was primarily biscuit week. I for one really enjoyed the show, and thought it was a real close call between Mary-Ann and Jo, both of whom I thought were brilliant in their own ways. I am now following both of their blogs, as they have some fantastic ideas.

 These biscuits were a damn bugger to make despite following the recipe from Mary- Ann's blog  here, mine didn't quite turn out looking as lovely as hers, but they do taste really good! Maybe I will try the Croquembouche next...err no .

I had real trouble getting the mixing to pipe from the bag, it was far too stiff, god knows how she managed it, I beat the butter until it was really soft, but the volume of flour and cornflour made it just like pastry ready to roll, which is correct for biscuits ( it should be very short) I had to add some milk just to get it soft enough  so as to be able it to squeeze through a big star tip in the pipe bag, even then it was still really difficult and I gave up and  rolled and cut the rest out into heart shapes, they still looked nice. I just made some ordinary buttercream and sandwiched them together with that and some strawberry jam.

Draw a line of gel food colouring, liquid is no good


Ready to pipe


Not bad for first attempt



The kids are sorted for a treat today then.

Happy baking!

2 comments: