Monday 19 November 2012

A peek into our old house ❤

I live in a typical mid terrace Victorian house, with most original features you would expect to find, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I dislike all new houses with a vengeance. It is nothing special on the outside, but I have tried to make it so on in the inside. It is a  bit of a tardis....

When we were looking to buy a property 5 years ago, my daughter was just 2 weeks old, but despite all the demands of a young baby, and it not being an ideal time to upsticks~ we needed more space ,and I wanted to take on a house with original features that would need doing up.

I fully expected that we would have to embark on this, with the type of house I wanted, that was within our price range.

We were very lucky that we found this house within a week of looking (Owners wanted a quick sale) which only needed a bit of redecorating, to be liveable. So we did just that , 2 weeks before we got the keys, (My mum was at hand holding the baby) every wall was painted white, all the carpets were pulled up ( I hate carpets!) and all the floorboards sanded and varnished, and we moved in.





 The conservatory converted to cosy snug.



The best part of this house is the large kitchen diner, which is the heart of the house, and where we all gather. I love to  cook and is perfect for entertaining.




Where I bake!


Baking worktop

We have just retiled the kitchen from an otherwise grey tiled, drab area into something more warm and  vibrant with these fabulous retro tiles which really have transformed the cooking area, also helped by a big range style cooker which  was bargainous in price. Oh how I'm looking forward to cooking Christmas dinner now, will be a breeze!




We were lucky that the loft space was already converted into a bedroom which made the 3 bed house a 4 bed really and was perfect for my 2 boys.We use the box room as our art studio. The bathroom was relatively new, and the kitchen was clean, smart, with plain white units so no major works needed doing.

We have since re designed~landscaped the whole garden, layed decking which looks fab.

We have gradually layed nice laminate flooring over all the downstairs floorboards as they weren't in  great condition.

I get most excited about fireplaces and windows, I hate double glazing. How I would love some original sash windows.We have a gorgeous fireplace with living gas  flame, my husband prefers it as isn't messy, but  I love the smell and crackle of a real open fire.It wasn't white originally, I repainted it ( not much escapes me and the white paint) much to the horror of of some, but it  did improve it.  I'm very grateful for it ,as is the focal point in a room.


Unfortunately there are no fireplaces in the other rooms, sadly different trends, styles over the  decades dictated they be ripped out and bricked up, which is criminal!!  Would be a lot of work smashing through to restore and purchasing fireplaces.

Whilst on my travels last Friday, driving past our local secondhand furniture shop my eagle eye spotted this mantle out the front and  I thought Ooooh! I will call later to enquire about price. When I called I fully expected it to be around £50-70, but was quoted  £20! Mine!done!

 It was delivered yesterday, and was covered in splatted dryed up bits of plaster (hence the price) which took a bit of scraping and cleaning, a couple of screws into the wall and WoW!

 The sunlight streaming through my bedroom this morning....



It has  transformed the chimney wall in my bedroom very nicely thanks! It just needs fresh lick of paint. I don't care that it looks a bit silly with no fire in it, I will use my imagination to create the illusion.

I arranged some perfume bottles and put some hydrangea flowers in a vase, to prettify. Lit some candles  the glow was lovely...



I have always made a house a house a home wherever I have lived, and have lived in some pretty grotty flats when I was younger, but always spruced them up with  a lick of paint and adding feminine touches with my collectibles, always bought cheaply at bootfayres etc, I love a bargain,and really enjoy the restoration process.

My parents were not particularly interested in our  family home, when I was young, and were very messy, we had 3 large dogs, which added to the mess and lived in chaos. The only clean tidy room in  the house was mine, which has  lead to me  being a tad anal,~compulsively tidy.

I'm not perfect though and have and have dusty corners,crumbs and bits of mouldy food in the sofa, hair in the plughole, horrible bits behind the sink,cluttered cupboards and drawers like everyone else. But I can't see it! I am always making lists, I need order, it keeps my head in a good place. I love my home, it is mine and my families sanctuary after all so is worth keeping it to be just that.

I have some big plans for the work space in my kitchen. All will be revealed in the new year!

Now just waiting to Christmasfy the pad and get the tree up!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment