Friday 9 November 2012

Mum's birthday blanket

I made this blanket for my mums birthday which isn't until the end of December, but gave it to her early, as the nippy weather has set in...Brrrr.

 Mum chose the colours, and she was very happy with it.

I used stylecraft DK in grape, and  Robin DK in Magenta and Pale rose. Each square is five rounds so largeish .There are 63 in total. I joined the squares as I went this time which was much easier and the squares lay flatter and it  looks altogether a lot neater.

 Method here from the super talented Lucy at Attic 24

  I edged it with 3 rows of trebles or DC then finished the edge of the edge with a small scallop.


Starting the edge
The worst part is the sewing in of ends on the back, very boring, but when that last thread is done , what a feeling!





Pile of ends






Sorry there are lots of pics! It's very satisfying seeing and feeling a blanket folded! I want a whole stack folded to choose from. I think I'm a little bit sad :)

I have another blanket on the go, one for me this time. Its a gorgeous colour combo of  vintage Sea green, and pinks.



 It's the same daisy pattern (same as previous two), and the last one I will be doing in this pattern 
as I have lots of projects in mind, blankets are an addiction though....

I so NEED to make a rainbow ripple blanket, and a granny stripe, it will make me feel cheery- all those bright colours! And its a pattern  that you  can just keep going on with,  so no fiddling faffing-joining in between.  I've found I'm fairly quick at crocheting when  I get going, which is a good thing as I'm very impatient and want an end in sight.

Little projects like hats, scarves, and ponchos can be worked up very quickly  and am definitely going to purchase some chunky Aran multi coloured yarns to do this very thing. They are great to give as gifts.

I  think I will possibly lay off the crocheting in the summer  months and maybe do my artwork and other creative pursuits in leisure time, as I get hot working on a blanket with it  draped all over me even when it's super cold, I hardly EVER feel the cold, so its ok  at the moment, but I would probably melt in the summer.

Thanks you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. wow Jen that looks gorgeous!
    join as you go is much easier I know, but depends on the finish you want:
    yes yes ~ do a ripple to add to the pile:
    looking forward to a cuppa with you on Tuesday my friend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dee, Yes I want a BIG pile!! See you Tuesday xx

    ReplyDelete