Wednesday 27 August 2014

Early Autumn days

Having just returned from  our summer holiday in Cornwall, it seems Autumn is teasingly hanging in the air. I am not complaining.

Cooler temperatures - very welcome. Rain.  Garden needs it. A few blustery days. An excuse to stay in and crochet;)  Cooler darker evenings.... LOVE. I have even lit candles and had the blankies out. Isn't it just delicious? Autumn is my favourite time of year.

Having said that, it was very warm out today and felt good on my skin again. Maybe summer will stay a little longer... I don't mind.

This weekend being cold and rainy scuppered my plans to go blackberry picking so what to do? Hubby was hinting heavily about wanting to make an apple pie with the apple haul from our tree.

 Sadie picked them all  a few days before whilst battling spiders in her hair!



 So a baking day it was. Hubby peeled the apples and Sadie helped roll the pastry,

I referenced this recipe from here and it was delicious, but added more cinnamon as we like it here. A LOT.


Egg washing

Piling in


The smell was just heavenly when it was baking. I think Yankee candle need to make this one.




                                                          The verdict was delicious!!



Talking of Yankee's I ordered two at the weekend and they arrived this afternoon :)

The first is called Lake sunset and it is just gorgeous, it smells like a holiday, it has a coconutty, musky sweetness, slight hint of patchouli, and is like a late summers eve. It's really hard to describe. I just love it.




The second is Christmas memories. (Sorry for the C word) There was no way I could resist trying this! Oh my goodness it is divine, and gives a really good throw of scent.  Gingerbread baking in the oven, mince pies, cloves and a hint of orange, delicious!  It has been put away out of sight now and will come out on Dec 1st and not before. ;)



                   So back to the bake off for now, Lulu's cosy on my lap under her blankie.




Enjoy the rest of the summer everyone. :)

4 comments:

  1. this weather can't make it's mind up! I was hoping to wash all my bedding but looking out the window, there will be no sheets billowing on the line today :-(
    there's lots of blackberries at the Nature Reserve in Daws Heath: I take a crook handled umbrella to hook down the higher berries!
    soon be time for sloes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know. I usually get a good haul from Prittlewell brook, it goes on a long way. I always come back looking look I've been in a cat fight! :O x

      Delete
  2. Loved this - it's almost like reading my own thoughts. I love autumn too - cosy dark evenings :-) I think we might be the only ones who do! Pie looks delicious, is it your own recipe? and thanks for candle tips - have you ever used the lily flame range? they do a few that I love ... two great christmas ones are 'mistletoe kisses' and 'taste of provence' which smells like a heavenly pine forest xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jodie, The pie recipe ids this one: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2052/ultimate-apple-pie

    I use half half of butter and lard though as my nan always did this. The pastry is crisper with the lard. Oooh will check out those candles, thanks Jodie ;) xx

    ReplyDelete