Friday 10 December 2010

Wicked!

I never used to be as fan of west end shows, I thought they would all be cheesy and samey, I had my mind made up they were not my 'thing' How wrong could I be!

I went to my first show back in 2002 when I had recently  met my husband, he had already seen Willy Russel's Blood Brothers 6 times, and kept raving about it, saying I would love it, well I DID, and have since seen it 5 or 6 times, it is so good that whenever I get an oppurtunity to see a show, I don't want to be dissapointed, so just go and see it again!

Another time, husband and I thought we would give Phantom a shot, We absolutley hated, it did nothing for me AT ALL, each to there own. So after this matinee performance ,we went straight on to see Blood Brothers for the evening show, as we had felt robbed of our day out.

Wicked is SOOO fantastic, you must go and see it, especially if your big on the colour green. Everything that can light up, or glow is Green, right down to the foyer Xmas fairy lights!

On arrival

The  Apollo theatre inside is in itself a really beautiful gothical feast for the eyes. The pillars  and fittings around the stage, have been built to resemble the Emerald city and light up spectaculary. The whole production was amazing, the costumes breathtaking, and the two leading ladies, WOW there voices are BIG!!

 It ties in very clevery with The wizard of Oz storyline.  EIphalba is a complex character, a loner who is' different ' but very talented , and soon gets embroiled in a battle with the Wizard of Oz and its inhabitants,  who are living in a corrupt society. Poor Elphalba  is so misunderstood, and prejudged for her actions and her opinions, and labelled BAD, she really is GOOD! a rebel with a cause! Unlike her counterpart' Glinda the good' who is  conceited and vain, and will go with the status quo, with no thought for others, as long as she gets her own spoilt way.


I  would go and see this again tomorrow if I could.

Can't wait to see  Llloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz when it starts next year.

Other shows/plays I want want  want to see are Oliver,Chicago, Billy Elliot, Woman in White,  Oscar Wilde's An ideal husband, and the Mousetrap.


Night lights
Looks like it will be a long wait to get through that lot.....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment