Saturday 24 December 2011

✯That child on Christmas Eve ✯

I can remember way back to when I was a little girl, the excitement I  felt on  Christmas Eve. My grandparents would arrive in the morning, and the preparations in the kitchen would begin, my grandad was an amazing cook, and his talents were passed down to my mother, then to me, I was always standing on a stool watching and helping. When I was a teenager he taught me how to make proper Indian curries, He grew up in India so really knew his stuff.

I really miss those times.  I try very hard to keep up the traditions for my own family, my daughter loves being involved in the kitchen, ~ it's her turn for the stool now, and she really is getting the hang of handling pastry, she's only 4! We made our Christmas biscuits yesterday, and son number 2 helped too. They got creative with the icing too! The tree is now adorned.


Decorating the tree


Today I have made my ham which I make the same way every year, it's to die for! Recipe from last year HERE

Studding the ham with cloves




I also made a massive batch of cheese straws, and definitely won't be having dinner tonight as have been picking at these all afternoon .



I always cook my turkey on Christmas  Eve too, but am out for lunch tomorrow for a change, so will make the most of a relaxing Christmas day. My boys will be back to me on boxing day, and I will be making a roast rib of beef dinner, YUM!

So I'm all done ,baking complete, presents wrapped, hampers made.



The chutney and jams were made in October. The truffles were made yesterday ~ a  Delia recipe and were really simple, but messy. I have hot hands which didn't help! You have to work speedily!





My daughter took most of these photos, she's always at the ready with my camera phone when I'm mucky!




My lovely Royal Doulton Santa came out of hiding today, this belonged to my father, I inherited it when he passed away, Sadie keeps gazing at it in wonder, he is rather Jolly isn't he?



My daughter is begging me to put her bed as can't contain her excitement.....

Oh how I wish to be that child on Christmas Eve again...

Time for me to have a large glass of wine and enjoy the smells wafting through the house. First watch Raymond Briggs Snowman with Sadie before she goes to bed. Am muchly looking forward to watching BBC adaptation of  Great Expectations., and Alistair Simm version of Scrooge, and Capras It's a Wonderful life for the Zilliionth time!


Have a wonderful Christmas everyone. XXXX

1 comment:

  1. Everything looks so delish!

    Merry Christmas, hope you and yours had a wonderful day.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete