Sunday 6 May 2012

30th birthday kitsch cake

I made this for my brothers girlfriend for her 30th birthday, It made her smile! This has to be my biggest challenge yet in the cake department. I really enjoyed making it, and was well pleased with the result, especially the  sugar roses!

Here's how I did it:

I made 2 square sponges, one smaller than the other, to make a tier and sandwiched them together with buttercream and jam, then covered them with more buttercream for the fondant icing to stick to.


Top tip- Spread some buttercream on the foil cake base, so the cake doesn't slide around.

I covered the  base cake first with white icing, then inserted 5 straws into the cake to act as a strengthener for the top cake to sit on. I then rolled out the black icing really thinly and cut out random strips with a pizza cutter for the zebra stripes, I  brushed the icing with a little water with a pastry brush so the strips adhere well.


I got the cake looking nice and smooth with a cake smoother, forgot to photograph it, it worked
 wonders!




I covered the top tier with pink fondant icing, then placed black ribbon round the edges to give a neat finish.




I made all the sugar roses by copying from a You Tube tutorial. They are very easy, but look  very complicated. ;)  I made these a few days in advance so they hardened up before decorating the cake.
I cut out the hearts and starts with little metal cutters, the leaves were cut by eye, and I used a sharp knife to draw the veins. I brushed with water again for the leaves and shapes to stick to, I used cocktail sticks to secure the roses into the cake.

 The heart and star shapes were made a week in advance so they were completely dry and hard.
I inserted 22 gauge craft wire into the shapes , which had first been twisted around a pencil to coil it. Insert a straw into the top cake then stick all the wire through that so it doesn't make contact with the sponge.


Finished with a light sprinkling of glitter.

It will be my 40th birthday this year think I will be making my own cake!

2 comments:

  1. My mum's really annoyed with me because I'm making my own cake (well, me and Elliott are making my cake) but I like doing it! This looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, yes I would have to do mine too!

      Delete